My kids and I came up with an idea for my husband to create a cafe for him. We wanted him to do some elaborate but he was so tired that it was best to let him sleep in and bring him some breakfast in bed, home made Chili for lunch and Angel Hair Pasta with Shrimp for dinner. Via came up with the breakfast, Avi came up with the lunch, and Kai, really me, came up with dinner. It took the kids a LONG time to come up with the name! We then did stuff outside and each kid got a lot of special time with just dad! Finished off with a family movie- Nanny McPhee (the first) and then after the kids went to bed we watched The Other F Word- which is a great father's day movie (but because of words, you should not watch with kids) so we watched after the kids went to bed. All in all, a very full day!
Sunny Pancakes and Eggs
blueberries, can be dried
dash of hot sauce
1. Make your pancake mix according to the box
2. Use cookie cutters, we used the shape of star and gingerbread man. Put into the pan and pour the batter in (halfway is good). And make as you would make normal pancakes. Then when done let cool and then use something to push out the pancakes you just made.
3. You can free form it for the tree. use a measuring cup and slowly poor it into the shape of a tree. Add the blueberries before you flip it.
4. Crack the eggs, add in black pepper and a dash of water. Mix and cook as scramble eggs.
5. Organise your pancakes on the plate.
6. Add your eggs as the sun and as hair for the gingerbread man.
7. Use blue berries on the gingerbread man for buttons
8. use the icing to write #1 in the star.
9. make waves around the sun in the icing as well (to help with the hot sauce).
10. Use a teaspoon to help with the hot sauce. Pour a little bit at time around each the icings around the sun.
11. Ta Da!
Note: This took the longest to prepare.
Black Bean and Soy Chorizo Chili over Pasta & Root Beer Float
1 tbsp Vegetable Seasoning
1 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
dash of cinnamon
1/4 tbsp black pepper
1/2 tbsp crushed red pepper
dash of salt
1/4 tbsp powder garlic
2.5 tbsp garlic minced
10 oz soy chorizo
10 ounce tomato sauce
15 ounce corn
28 ounce crushed tomato
28 ounce Frumano's chunky crushed tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
30 ounce canned black beans
15 ounce canned kidney beans
1. Mix together all the spices together in a small bowl
2. chop onion, yes they make you cry! Put into the pot
3. add minced garlic and let it saute
4. add soy chorizo and saute in for a few minutes
5. Continue to add in all the ingredients one at a time, including the spices.
6. Let cook over medium heat while you make your pasta.
7. Pour over and voila!
Note: This is spicy-- so if you have a sensitive child, this is not something you want to share with them.
Note 2: This will leave you with a lot of left overs!
Garlic Shrimp over Angel Hair Pasta
16 ounce Angel Hair Pasta
16 ounce to 32 ounce Shrimp, based on preference
1 head broccoli
2-3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp Worcester sauce
1/2 tbsp crushed red peppers
1 tbsp lemon juice
1. Put the shrimp in a big bowl, detail them if you need to.
2. In a small bowl mix the olive oil, lemon juice, Worcester sauce, and crushed peppers and mix well.
3. Pour the small box mix over the shrimp and stir and let sit a few minutes
4. In the mean time, get your broccoli cut up and ready to steam.
5. In the same pot as your pasta, put water to boil pasta and bring the water to a boil. Then add the pasta and put a steamer over it and steam your broccoli at the same time!
6. On medium heat, start sauteing the shrimp until you get it done- you may have to fry them in more than one batch- a few minutes on each side.
7. strain your pasta and add over the steamed broccoli and shrimp.
8. Choice of vino and Enjoy!
Kid Decorated Sugar Cookies
Writing Icing Pens
Sprinkles of Choice
1. Do home made sugar cookies or buy them
2. Give the kids each a few to decorate
3. Don't forget to decorate some yourself!
Hope all you amazing dads had an awesome father's day and no one is not good enough to celebrate your dad!