What better way to celebrate the Olympics today than to have English Fish and Chips- Fish and chips being an English classic. I was wondering why fish and chips were so popular in England. I had to do a little bit of research.
In 1860 the first fish and chips shop was opened in London. It was the result of a surge in fishing in the North Sea and became a staple food for working classes. And there is thought that chips were thought to become about at the same time. Also, during World War II, it was one of the few foods that were not under rationing standards, which is probably reason for its ever growing and staying popularity! Now places that do fish and chips sell 25% of all fish and 10% of all potatoes in the country and has become world famous for being from England although other places like Ireland, South Africa and other countries sell it as well. Thank you Wikipedia!
I have loved fish and chips since I was a little girl- I could eat fish and chips any day of the week. I did not take kind to any other kind of fish, but fish and chips I could do. I love chips as well- who does not. If you go to an American restaurant, they may be referred as steak fries. I decided to share this with my kids- and what better time than watching the Olympics in London!
4 oz water
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup flour
20 ounce white fish, thawed
1/4 cup oil
1/2 tbsp italian seasoning
1 tsp garlic powder/salt
1. In a mixing bowl combine water, egg, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, lemon juice. Mix.
2. Add flour and mix.
3. In a small bowl combine the oil italian seasoning and garlic powder
4. Take the potatoes and cut them in half, half again, and fourth them.
5. Get your baking sheet out, put the potatoes on it and pour on the small bowl mix.
6. Massage the potatoes until well seasoned- its okay if there is more oil on there since it will help coat the bottom
7. Put in the oven for 20 minutes, turn, another 20 minutes.
8. In the mean time, pour the big bowl mix over the fish.
9. Cook on medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side.
I hope that you enjoy it as much as my family did!