We found mussels for $1 a pound at H-Mart. So we thought to try it. I have never had mussels before and for the price, it was worth a shot. Plus, I knew Ben would like them and eat them if I could not.
We also had a friend over and what a great reason to celebrate and eat good food.
My kids saw live Blue Crab- Avi loved seeing them picked up and them holding on to each other but Via was afraid and felt sorry for them. (I was more with her even though we almost bought them).
These were not only right for the price but were wild caught in Maine this week.
We did not know how our kids would respond to mussels- and my kids LOVED these. They were hesitant at first, just as I was. I think it helped that we were trying it at the same time. We all liked it.
This was easy and fast as well.
James, our friend, said he has had good mussels and bad mussels and these were really good mussels. He could not believe I had not had them more or less make a good recipe. So I consider this a success.
I hope you enjoy it the way we did.
2 lbs Mussels
16 ounces Amber Ale
Pinch of salt
Pinch of pepper
Pinch of Italian Seasoning
1 tbsp lemon juice
5 garlic cloves
2 tbsp Butter
Head of cabbage
2 tbsp Soy Sauce
10 baby carrots
3 cups Rice
6 cups Water
dash of italian seasoning
|James teaching Via to get the mussel out.|
1. Cut and dice your onion and garlic
2. Cut your carrots and cabbage
3. Boil water in your pot for your rice- once it boils add your rice and cook for 15 minutes covered.
4. Put oil in a pan over medium heat and then add your carrots and your cabbage. Saute them and then add soy sauce and cook some more. This should only take 5-7 minutes to cook. Put to side.
5. In a pot cover the bottom with oil completely and then over medium high heat put in the onions, garlic, pepper, salt, italian seasoning and saute.
6. Add in lemon juice, saute another minute.
7. Very important to wash the mussels with cold water. Any that are open and will not close are bad.
7. Add in beer and then the mussels.
8. Cook covered for 7 minutes and stir to get the beer and onions more in the flavour. Do not overcook. When they are open they are done.
9. Add the butter and stir the mussels until butter is melted.
10. Your dinner is ready to be served!